Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Sugar and spice and sewing


I am so excited to be the future favorite Aunt (that's right Dawn I said it) to baby Emily who will be making her appearance sometime in November. Of course I immediately started crafting for this little nugget as soon as her existence was announced.

I went back and forth with my sister to figure out a plan for the crib quilt ... I think she underestimated my abilities so I made the quilt she didn't know she wanted instead and she planned to buy the nursery bedding. 

I chose bright cheery fabrics and put in ruffles for emily to play with. 

 

Now I hate making something as beautiful as this and making a bland backing so I chose to make something personalized. 

 

I had enough fabric left over that I decided to make a car seat quilt. I found a great pattern on moda bake shop (http://www.modabakeshop.com/2012/02/sophie-car-seat-quilt.html)

I love the ties on the side to keep the little bundle of joy from kicking it off!




Now I know that she will outgrow these quilts but I wanted her to have something small that she could keep so I had the joy of giving her her first Christmas ornament. This was super simple I just got some glass ornaments from hobby lobby, wrapped some scraps around a pencil and stuffed them inside. Top it with a bow and voila!

 
Of course this story has a happy ending which leaves the manufactured (and boring) quilt at the store. She loved the quilt so much she is using that for the nursery and has asked me to make the crib skirt which, of course, will be shown here upon its completion. In short my quilt kicked the other quilts tush and that, my friends, is what we really do this for (if we are completely honest with ourselves).
 
Can't wait to meet you Baby E and don't worry between me and your Aunt Dawn we'll make sure you have plenty of homemade and monogrammed swag.

No comments:

Post a Comment